The prospects of new way of ‘respectable living’ and of social advancement held out by education created in the country’s youth a thirst for knowledge that remained strong and insatiable in the later part of the nineteen century. However, educational facilities at the time could not match the youth’s enthusiasm for school. If elementary school education were grossly inadequate, those for secondary education were virtually non-existent, and nearly all ambitious young men who wanted higher education went to overseas or Sierra Leone.
It was to satisfy the urgent need for a secondary school that would provide good tuition at reasonable cost to the non-affluent sector of Accra and its environs that four young men all below thirty years of age established the Accra Academy.
The Accra Academy was founded on Monday, 20th. July, 1931 by Dr. Kofi George Konuah, Messrs. Gotfried Narku Alema, James Acquaye Halm-Addo and Samuel Neils Awuletey with nineteen students distributed into forms one to three. The form three class was made up of A.K. Konuah(Second Headmaster of the school), R.Q.E. Blankson (later Town Engineer, Accra Municipal Council),C.S. Dua, Addo-Yobo and J.K. Quartey.
Teaching Staff from 1931-1940
The original teaching staff consisted of the four founders, S.S. Sackey and M. F. Dei-Annang. The number of teachers increased thereafter as the following joined the staff: S.K. Agbeshie, A.K. Konnuah, C.S. Dua, C.A.E. Martinson, C.J. Tekyi-Mensah, H.A.A.Ankrah, N.A. Quao, W.K. Lutterodt, L.O. Quao, T.Q. Amar, K.A.Gbedemah, J.Therson-Cofie, Harry Dodoo, Osah Mills, G. Koranteng-Addow, E. Ofori Addo, C.A.B. Brown and G. Lamptey-Mills.
The school first started at, Ankrah Lane, James Town British Accra in a storey building belonging Mrs. Ellen Buckle. Though a day school, provision was made for students from outside Accra. These boarders were housed in a storey building adjoining Ellen House named Claremont House. Claremont House was also owned by Mrs. Ellen Buckle but had to vacate it to make way for the boarding section of the Accra Academy. Some of the beneficiaries of the boarding section were former Speaker of Parliament, Justice D. F. Annan, Ben Annan and J.K. Tsiboe.
ACCRA ACADEMY: GOVERNMENT-ASSISTED STATUS
Due to the consistently impressive academic performance of the students, the government started showing interest in the school. Therefore in 1946, representatives of the Director of Education visited the school for inspection of its audit reports. This was followed by a week-long inspect of the school by the Department of Education. The inspectors strongly recommended the placement of the Accra Academy on the list of Government-Assisted schools and yearly grant equivalent to 60-80% of staff paid salary was paid to the school. Finally, on 1st. January, 1950, the Accra Academy became a fully-fledged Government-assisted secondary school. Thus the Headmaster and teaching staff had their salaries adjusted to the same scale as those approved by Government for the teachers in other assisted secondary schools.
RELOCATION OF THE SCHOOL
The current location of the school, Bubiashie, was offered by the Government to the Board of Governors in 1957.This was done exchange for the Kokomlemle site which had been a centre of intense litigation and protracted dispute. After inspection of the plot by Dr. K.G. Konuah and A.K. Konuah, Board Chairman and Headmaster respectively, the Board passed a resolution to accept this new site and relinquish the school’s title to the Kokomlemle land.
On 12th. October, 1959, the Board awarded a contract to J.Monta & Sons for the construction of permanent structure for the school. The signing of the contract was done on behalf of the Board by Messrs. Harry Dodoo and J.P.C. Chinery. In July, 1961, the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of the Accra Academy, the contractors handed over the completed buildings to the school and on Saturday, 3rd. February, 1962, the school was officially opened by the then Minister for Education, Hon. A.J. Dowuona-Hammond.